Wednesday, August 20, 2008

even more-so on the other side... (and my new blog) (and something about videos)

Clever and descriptive titles escape me...

so it's been... 4 days and with M still out there and me here, wedded life has never been so... distant. But all that changes tonight around 12:35 when his red-eye taxis onto the runway!

Other news: New blog has been started. I've only been able to post once so far, but between these two blogs I'm sure some of you will have plenty of reading material to last for awhile.

But, since this is the wedding blog, I'll stick to wedding topics.

My brothers taped parts of the weekend to make a DVD for me, and my eldest brother is editing it this week. He's asked for some songs that we would like to use throughout the video. We haven't talked about it yet, but I can bet that Ben Fold's "The Luckiest" and Belle and Sebastian's "If You Find Yourself Caught in Love" will find their ways onto the video.

M's grandmother wasn't able to make it to the wedding because of some health problems, and I knew she was sad about it because she's devoutly Catholic and she missed probably the only Nuptial Mass that the family would have, so she was very happy to learn that we got it on video and that we would send her the dvd as soon as we get it.

I know some people can't decide if they want videographers or not, and while that decision depends on your budget and skill in your talent pool of friends, I'd highly encourage you to consider it. The video does not have to be some fancy schmancy super-8 type deal (though, I personally would have loved that) - all you need is a camera, tape, and someone to move the camera around when needed. While I'm lucky that my brothers are talented amateur sound/film people, you don't have to have any type of pro to edit it for you. 10 years from now, you will at least have some of the footage that photographs simply can't cover.

For example - once I started saying my vows, I started to cry. My photographer was sitting behind me, but the video was planted right in front of my face. This was a pretty emotional moment (everyone was telling me I set off a chain reaction), and a photograph just really wouldn't be able to capture all of the emotions going on at that moment, so the video will really help us remember all of what happened at that moment.

So my point is - lug out that old video camera and at least record your ceremony and toasts. (My dad had a particularly awesome one that needs to be preserved for posterity, so I hope there are some clips of that on there.)

10 years from now I'll come back and let you know how awesome having the video is.

No comments: